Interested in using Nexrad Radar
rainfall for historical analysis or in real-time on a tight budget like for free???
GetRealtime is part of a complete system for downloading, processing, storing
radar information with event or continuous runoff simulations... and no, you do
not need GIS software because the NWS is our GIS expert and have already gridded the radar info as 1
kilometer gridded images at 0.5 dbZ every 5 minutes. We just average the image
pixel color rainfall inside our boundary and skip the GIS. I will show you the
steps with several case studies on how it all works in
real-time. And with you at the helm, I bet you can learn how to exceed any
commercial service available so why not get started today. Run your own
system top to bottom for flood analysis and compute loads, DO, and who wants to know that stuff
anyway yourself. This FREE suite of programs and
1) GetMapArea -- For digitizing basin boundaries, runoff
coefficients calibration, rainfall durations, and hydrograph shaping.
2) GetNexrad -- For current visualization of radar
imagery, historical analysis, basin area averaging, gridded radar output, QPF
forecasting, and radar track Nowcasting... AND storm ETA for NASCAR race fans.
3) GetRealtime -- Downloads current or historical radar imagery, computes
gage/radar adjustment and applies them, incorporates NWS QPF's, storm track
Nowcasts, snowmelt, ET, and then simulates event and continuous runoff and
routings with with muliple runs and traces and what ifs. Routings will
handle most anything short of Grand Coulee for the next 400 years hourly or 30
years at 5-minutes. Has 4 Monte Carlo methods for varying any of the
runoff coefficients and the rainfall record for calibration or stochastic
4) GetAccess -- Stores the inputs and outputs of all of the above in a simple
Microsoft Access database that writes directly to and from MS Excel (also
HEC-DSS ready format).
5) GetGraphs -- For viewing all this stuff
and more in real-time. You will be the master of all you survey, whether that be
a very important sewer
system or just some pretty mountain glacier.
It is all so easy to use that even I can use it!
Get started today and step into the world of tomorrow and show the boss a
thing or two and remind him it's free.
Why is it free?.. idle hands are the devil's workshop.
1) GetRealtime.exe--automated retrieval, computation, and storage of real-time hydrological and meteorological
data available free on the web for continuous computations and simulations.
Specializing in fast NEXRAD radar dbz conversion to rainfall and adjustment for
runoff simulation for real-time flood alerts or historical studies.
GetRealtime.exe started as a simple download of USGS 15-minute flow data. Every
new source added since then is fashioned as if it also were just another USGS
flow station. For example you could think of Nexrad radar rainfall as just another USGS flow
station with a tipping bucket. And runoff is just another computation that
GetRealtime does on the rainfall. Just like converting a USGS gage height to
flow. For Nexrad rainfall all you need are some points to say where the rainfall
of interest is, hence GetMapArea & GetNexrad are used to
provide GetRealtime with these points of interest. GetRealtime uses methods to
provide great results while keeping input needs to a minimum, but still allowing
for options for the pros.
2) GetGraphs.exe--displaying a mix of the real-time data and web
screens and gifs by auto paging through screens the user has defined with auto
updating at regular intervals. Some may not be interested in the hydrological
graphs but can still make use of the automated web screens to display multiple
web browsers (up to 12 on one screen) on multiple pages with automated updating
and paging and each can be for browsing further. Also good for monitoring alot
of stuff like Plant Information Management and Quality Control databases with
alarms for any real-time time series database that needs an eyeball on things
now. Just light up that big screen TV monitor with GetGraphs when the boss
is around instead of the ball game.
3) GetAccess.exe--managing and display of the real-time and historical data stored in an
MS Access database (the MS Access runtime can be downloaded for users not owning
MS Office), an Excel database, or other ODBC database. GetAccess can write
the database data to text file or Excel and Excel can write it back with the
GetAccess output xls data editing file. Write Excel files with
HEC-DSS header info for storing to HEC-DSS files using the Excel HEC-DSS AddIn.
GetRealtime and GetGraphs’ example of many auto paging screens...
GetAccess for database management...
Continuous simulations of adjusted radar rainfall-runoff, radar snowpack and
melt, and much more....
Who can make use of the information provided by the GetRealtime system:
1) Home owners and professionals watching local river flood conditions,
rainfall and computed runoff rates, radar loops, temperatures, and live webcams real-time.
2) Anyone wanting to automate viewing of several Web pages on one screen
or many such screens and automate their updating at regular intervals.
3) Farmers, golf course managers, and home owners wanting up to the
minute crop and lawn water requirements.
4) Environmentalists monitoring flow rates and water quality parameters.
5) Farmers monitoring snowpack depths, reservoir conditions, forecasts,
water availability reports, drought in other areas, crop prices, and global
satellite weather systems headed their way.
6) Quality Control via visual inspection of the real-time data being
7) The just plain curious wanting to set up a virtual weather station on
their computer screen and compare their thermometer with someone’s down the
8) Skiers monitoring snow depths, weather forecasts, and webcams showing
conditions at all their favorite ski slopes.
9) Professionals wanting to display all their data real-time in their
operations war room on a big screen up on the wall as an excuse to get a big
flat screen TV and impress the boss and visitors.
10) Agricultural commodity traders trying to keep up with it all.
11) Local, County, and Federal fire fighters needing a record of areal average
rainfall for esitmating fire hazard pontential.
12) Agricultural irrigation districts or even a small farmer can outline
their district boundary and compute the 5-minute, hourly, and daily rainfall
amount averaged over their district and adjust their water order accordingly in
real time with out the cost of maintaining a network of rain gages. Combine this with Getrealtime’s
Penman-Monteith standard evapotranspiration computation and you have stepped
into the 21st Century and beyond.
Professional development planners and consultants needing that something extra
when HEC just won't calibrate your project (easily custom fit the peak,
interflow, and recession... even those lost rainfall losses are not so lost
Personal weather station owners and data loggers wanting to store their text file output to a
What real-time web data sources are made available by the GetRealtime
system without charge or registration:
1) Weather Underground’s thousands of weather stations around the world
providing info such as Temperature, Humidity, Wind Speed, Dew Point, and
2) US Geological Survey’s thousands of stream flow, reservoir, and water
quality stations providing info such as Flow, Elevation, pH, Dissolved Oxygen,
3) California Data Exchange Center providing both hydrological and
meteorological data from hundreds of state and federal sources through out
4) US Conservation Service providing SNOTEL snowpack depths and other
meteorological data throughout the western US mountains.
5) US Bureau of Reclamation providing reservoir, meteorological, and
evapotranspiration data through out the Pacific Northwest and Great Plains
Regions of the US.
6) US Army Corps of Engineers providing reservoir and stream data through out the US.
7) California Irrigation and Management Information System providing
meteorological and evapotranspiration data at hundreds of sites through out
8) NOAA Nexrad Doppler WSR-88D class radar imagery providing real time rainfall rates that are
converted to areal average rainfall amounts for anywhere in the USA.
9) Any other ODBC database on your computer or over the
internet. You provide the connection string and SQL statement and away you
go in real-time. Computations can be made on the fly or stored first for more
10) Your personal weather station or other text
11) HEC-DSS files using their MS Excel HEC-DSS Add-In.
12) The World Wide Web providing screen shots and gifs such as weather
radar loops, webcams,
current assessments, current prices, and just about
everything else imaginable.
What kinds of computations can be made real-time during the GetRealtime retrieval:
1) Conversions such as Temp C to Temp F, gage height to elevation, and
metric to English or English to Metric.
2) Computation of stream flow from gage heights, gate openings, and such
with shifts applied with stage and time.
3) Convert rainfall, snowpack, reservoir contents to percent of normal.
4) Convert reservoir elevation to contents.
5) Computation of both tall(alfalfa) and short(grass) hourly reference ET
from Temp, Humidity and Wind Speed at Wunderground weather stations using
methods of the ASCE Standard Penman-Monteith with a special solar computation if
solar not available.
6) Compute crop and lawn water use from the computed reference ET.
7) Convert Dissolved Oxygen to percent saturation.
8) Convert conductivity to TDS.
9) Compute Absolute Humidity from Temp and RH.
10) Compute rainfall-runoff from weather station rainfall
or average of stations and display
routed and combined hydrographs.
11) Compute rainfall-runoff from adjusted NOAA Nexrad radar rainfall imagery and display
routed and combined hydrographs for real-time and continuous simulation.
Use GetNexrad to provide 1 to 3 hour basin rainfall nowcasts based on storm
tracking speed for added lead time... and add NWS QPF quantative precip
forecasts for 6 to 72 hours more lead time.
12) Continuous snowpack and melt recod for realtime rainfall-runoff and display
routed and combined hydrographs for real-time and continuous simulation.
13) Get, Combine, Subtract, Divert, and Route unlimited number of
sub-basins with Tatum, Muskingum, and Cascading Modpul routings and an adjusted
14) Or just about any computation you can put in the form of up to 5 equations
relating the multiple parameters being retrieved and can include date and time,
shifts, and conditionals for which to use.
Now with Setup Wizards for computation of radar rainfall, radar
adjust, runoff, snowmelt, ET, solar radiation, long wave radiation, and stream
flow routing. Evan
beginners can turn a nearby Wunderground weather station into a cornucopia of
Need a simple alternative to HEC-HMS Green-Ampt and don't think you can use your favorite loss method like the SCS CN method in a
continuous model... think again.
GetRealtime's rainfall-runoff lumped model simulation parameters can vary from a
minumum number of user defined parameters to the maximum and still use the full
simulation calculations how ever ran:
Minimum required parameters from the user for runoff simulation:
1) Lag time to peak in hours.
2) Basin area in square miles.
3) Initial Loss or SCS Curve Number.
4) Constant Loss in/hr
5) Percent impervioius %.
Additional parameters with defaults the user can supply:
1) Time-step, 1-day, 1-hour, 5-minute.
2) Unit-graph modification with 5 straight forward parameters for peak,
interflow, and recession shaping...
...or select from several dimensionless graphs like SCS, urban, USBR regionals,
and linear reservoir.
3) Rainfall adjust factor.
4) Wet and Dry SCS curve number limits.
5) Groundwater storage recovery factor.
6) Groundwater base flow.
7) Groundwater loss factor.
8) Water use factors (Kc) for adjusting reference ETo
and a seasonal riparian ET adjustment factor.
9) Kansas defualt ETo or computed ETo record (ASCE Penman-Monteith calulcation
with all defaults provided except the Temp, Wind, Humidity record usually from
any Wunderground station).
10) Snowpack and melt applied to rainfall record (Physical 1 layer
heat transfer model with
all defaults provided except the Temp, Wind, Humidity record).
Rainfall-Runoff simulation setup wizard:
ET evapotranspiration setup wizard for those not in Kansas anymore:
Snowpack and melt setup wizard (solar and longwave radiation will be computed):
And with enough routing methods to keep both California and Arizona guessing.
Don't see what you need? Just contact me below.
Microsoft Windows 98 or better... like XP, Vista, 7, 8... Owning MS Access
is not required, see Free Downloads runtime but I think it ships with Vista and
Please use these programs freely, but if you would like to remove the nag screen
on startup for GetGraphs and GetMapArea and keep me from starving then you will need a registration number
FindMySoft Editor's Review
GetRealtime - view real time weather information
The weather is extremely
important for all of us. It influences our life and our decisions and that's why
it's important to know its condition at all times. There are numerous computer
applications on the market for displaying weather conditions, but none of them
match the complexity of GetRealtime. This Windows application is able to
retrieve real time data from a large number of weather stations worldwide.
Installing this program is a very simple process, as the process is simple to
complete and requires only a couple of clicks for this. After installing and
launching the application, the user will be presented with a simple and
intuitive interface, from where he can choose the desired weather station. This
can be done by opening a large list of weather stations, which can be edited and
the user can add his own stations.
... And some more stuff
GetNexrad Screen Shot (It's Free):
GetMapArea Screen Shot (It's Free):
Additional page links about
ET, Runoff, and Nexrad Radar help and comparisons:
List of How To Videos on Youtube
Help Page for GetNexrad.exe
Nexrad Rainfall to Tipping Bucket Comparison
(how I got started)
ET and Radar Rainfall along the Lower Colorado
Nexrad Rainfall-Runoff Comparison Las Vegas
Valley, NV w/ runoff setup & radar adjustment
Rainfall-Runoff Comparison San Jouqin Valley, CA w/snowmelt and radar adjustment
Rainfall-Runoff Comparisons in northwestern Arizona
Nexrad Snowfall Comparisons in western
central Sierras, CA
Rainfall-Runoff Comparison Beech Mtn, NC w/snowmelt and radar adjustment
Ajustment, Charlotte, NC
About the webmaster:
10 years as field man, flood and surface water records hydrologist with the US
20 years as
office man and modeler in flood and water supply
studies with the US Bureau of Reclamation.
* Currently unemployed man.
Got a question, shoot me an email. I've got nothing better to
do... till NASCAR starts. If anyone would like me to provide a setup for
their location to get them started, or review their setups, or participate
in a study in anyway I would be happy to do so for FREE!
Weather Underground is a registered trademark of Weather
Underground, Inc www.wunderground.com
WU USGS USBR NWS USCS CWRD COE
More Free Downloads
© Copyright 2009-2013 Carson, Reproduction permitted with attribution.